2025 Scholarship Applications
Every year Huntingtower, in conjunction with the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER), holds scholarship exams for entry into Years 7, 9 and 10. Scholarships can be awarded to cover 25% to 50% of tuition fees, as Academic, General Excellence or Music Scholarships.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. A limited number of scholarships will be awarded based on the examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
It is important to note that schools do not share scholarship results with one another. Candidates must sit the Academic exam at Huntingtower on the set date to be eligible.
Eligibility to apply:
- Australian citizens
- Permanent Residents (PR)
- Current Huntingtower students who are Australian citizens or Permanent Residents
2025 Applications Open: Monday 2nd October 2023 at 9am
2025 Applications Close: Wednesday 31st January 2024 at 11.59pm
2025 ACER Scholarship Examination: Saturday 10 February 2024 to be held at Huntingtower
2025 Music Auditions: Sunday 11 February 2024 (Audition times for each applicant will be advised as soon as possible after the scholarship applications have closed).
Academic Scholarship candidates must be high achieving students who excel academically and who will also contribute to the school in many other areas. Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
General Excellence Scholarship candidates must have achieved a high academic standard, plus excellence in at least two of the following areas: sport, music, leadership or community service. Shortlisted applicants will be invited, together with their families, for an interview with the Principal or his delegate. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of examination, portfolio review and interview. Scholarships are awarded at the sole discretion of the Principal.
Music applicants must attend a Music audition as well as sitting the ACER Academic examination. Please note that audition times will be sent via email as soon as possible after applications have closed.
Auditions are available for any orchestral ensemble instrument (Brass, Percussion, Strings, Woodwind). Students wishing to audition on Piano or Guitar as their primary instrument need to also present a 2nd instrument that is from the Brass, Percussion, String or Woodwind of instruments (at any standard and present this within the audition performance time limit). Students auditioning on an orchestral instrument as their primary instrument may choose to demonstrate a 2nd instrument but need to do so within the performance time limit listed below. Instruments other than orchestral instruments will be considered at the discretion of the Head of Music.
All successful music scholarship students will be expected to regularly participate in at least one Huntingtower instrumental ensemble and/or Choir.
Please ensure that your child has documented evidence that they attained the required level (according to the table below) of proficiency prior to the audition.
|Year Level||AMEB Grade or Equivalent|
|Year 6 into Year 7||Grade 5|
|Year 8 into Year 9||Grade 7|
|Year 9 into Year 10||Grade 8|
- Extracts from two contrasting works should be presented – one fast piece and one slow piece, with each extract being about 3 minutes in duration. The extracts can be accompanied or unaccompanied. The candidates can present complete works if it conforms with the time limits. The candidates should be using the extracts to best demonstrate their musicality, dexterity, control, typical tone for the instrument, and a clear understanding of musical phrasing.
Maximum performances time limit – 6 minutes. An additional 2 minutes will be used for a sight-reading test and a general discussion.
- Candidates should arrive at the warm-up room in the Huntingtower Music Centre at least 15 minutes before their scheduled time.
- A copy of each work to be performed must be presented to the Head of Music at the commencement of the audition.
- Candidates need to provide their own accompanist. Backing tracks are only acceptable in the audition for non-melodic percussion instruments – the backing tracks should be brought into the audition on the candidates own device ready to plug into the PA system.
- Once you have completed your ACER online registration, please email the school with the full name of your accompanist together with your electronic portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure you include the ACER candidate ID in the subject of your email.
- Please make sure you bring some form of identification with your full name.
Please Note: Audition times will be sent via email as soon as possible after applications have closed.
All Music scholarship applicants are also required to sit the ACER Academic Examination.
How to Apply
Please follow and complete both steps below:
Step 1. All Scholarship candidates must complete the ACER online registration. You must complete the online form to officially register. Once you have completed your online registration, please save this form to lodge with your Portfolio documentation. Payment of $150 (2024 rate) is required at the time of registering online.
Step 2. Email the electronic Scholarship Portfolio (requirements listed below) as soon as you have received the end of year school report. The portfolio should be emailed to email@example.com prior to 11.59pm Wednesday 31st January 2024. Please include your ACER candidate ID and candidate name in the subject of the email. No late applications will be accepted.
All (including current Huntingtower students) applicants are asked to provide an electronic Scholarship Portfolio.
Please include the following documents in the Scholarship Portfolio:
- Cover letter with a statement written by the student, explaining why they would like to be considered for the Scholarship and how they believe attending Huntingtower would impact their future and what they would bring to Huntingtower.
- A copy of the ACER online registration confirmation
- School Report – please provide the latest full year school report (Semester 1 and Semester 2)
- A copy of the latest NAPLAN results
- Copies of any certificates of achievement, Sporting ability/achievements, Music ability/achievements, Leadership achievements and Community Service. If you would like to include a reference from a teacher, principal, sporting organisation, church group, community service organisation, etc. (this is not essential), please feel free to do so.
Current Huntingtower students are not required to provide written references from their teachers.
On the Day of the ACER Exam
All scholarship applicants (Academic, General Excellence and Music) must sit this Academic Scholarship Examination.
The Academic Scholarship Examination will be held at Huntingtower on:
Date – Academic Scholarship Examination – Saturday 10 February 2024
Venue – Huntingtower
Arrival Time – Please arrive no later than 8.30am
Conclusion – Approximately 12.00pm
What to bring on the day:
- Some form of identification of the candidate which indicates the full name.
- Two HB or B pencils, a pencil eraser and two blue or black pens.
Please do not bring rulers, mathematical instruments of any kind, programmable watches, mobile phones, photographic or other image/data capturing devices, books or notepaper.
There will be no correspondence sent by the school prior to the examination.
Scholarship interview appointments will commence after the school receives the results from ACER in early to mid-March.
If you have any queries, you are welcome to contact the school on 9807 8888 (8.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday) or alternatively you may email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct any enquiries specific to the Scholarship Examination to ACER directly via the Parent Hotline is 1300 768 952.